Basements and Party Wall Engineering


Advising Engineer

The Party Wall Etc Act 1996 is Administered by party Wall Surveyors, who are often chartered Building Surveyors. The Surveyors are entitled to call upon specialist expertise to supplement their own general construction knowledge in order to preside over complex structural engineering matters when advising an Adjoining owner ( neighbour).

Please note we do not act as Party Wall Surveyors but work with most companies so can always recommend someone.

Our work as both designers and Advising Engineers to neighbours is based on our detailed knowledge of the party Wall Etc Act 1996 and we always strive to achieve designs that minimise inconvenience to neighbouring properties as far as is possible.

This advice is provided as part of an industry phrase called “Advising Engineer” as defined by a guidance note published by the Party Wall Surveyors club, the Pyramus and Thisbe club (P and T club).

Most of this advisory work concerns foundation and excavation works such as basements or piling. Demolition and temporary support structures and builders method statements are frequently considered. Our role is also important when additional loads on buildings are involved such as when large beams are inserted or when walls are raised higher.

The role of the Advising Engineer is not like a checking engineer under the Building Regulations but instead is to check that the proposed works are in accordance with the Party Wall Legislation; principally to allow safe and sensible development providing it does not unreasonably prejudice the neighbour (called the Adjoining Owner) both at the time of the works and in the future.

See news item for November 2011 Moot regarding Basements and Special Foundations and see ‘technical‘ for various papers and guidance notes.

Follow us on

Request Callback
Pole Structural Engineers, Admel House,
60 High Street Wimbledon London SW19 5EE 
Tel: 020 8944 9955